Increasingly, our Edison and Kendall Park NJ patients are turning to laser refractive surgery to free themselves from the restrictions of glasses and contact lenses. Among the most commonly performed elective surgeries in the United States today, LASIK is safe, effective and convenient.
The Edison LASIK surgeons at Patel Eye Associates invite you to learn why so many satisfied patients have turned to LASIK for a glasses-free lifestyle. Please contacts us today at 732.985.5009 to schedule a LASIK consultation.
What is LASIK?
LASIK is short for Laser-Assisted in situ Keratomileusis. It’s an in-office surgery that permanently improves your eyes’ ability to focus light on the retina. In most cases, patients are able to eliminate their dependence on refractive corrective lenses like glasses and contacts. From athletes to business travelers, LASIK patients all share a common desire: clear vision without restrictions.
How does LASIK work?
Fundamentally, LASIK improves your vision by reshaping the cornea. The actual laser procedure is surprisingly brief, only 10 minutes or so per eye. And the laser itself is only at work for about 30 to 60 seconds per eye. Here’s what happens:
- First, Dr. Patel or Dr. Shah uses a very small blade to create a thin flap in the outer tissue of your cornea.
- Next, the flap is folded out of the way, exposing the underlying corneal tissue for reshaping.
- Then, an excimer laser precisely removes just the right amount of tissue from the cornea to precisely focus light onto the retina.
- Once corneal reshaping is complete, the surgeon closes the flap, which serves as a natural bandage for the healing eye.
Despite LASIK’s proven track record, it’s important to consult with your LASIK surgeon and ask any questions you may have about the procedure.
What can LASIK correct?
LASIK corrects what are known as refractive errors, the most common of which are
- Nearsightedness (myopia)
- Farsightedness (hyperopia)
Custom LASIK can also address what are known as higher order aberrations, like night glare and double vision, using a process of wavefront diagnosis to create a precise 3-D map of your eyes.
What are the benefits of LASIK?
The most obvious and immediate benefit of LASIK surgery is vision improvement without the need for glasses or contact. But beyond this most fundamental benefit, there are other reasons to consider LASIK surgery:
- Restoration of peripheral vision
- Rapid recovery
- Very small risk of complications
If you’re ready to learn more about how LASIK can change your life, it’s time to discuss your vision needs with one of the experienced New Jersey eye doctors at Patel Eye Associates today by calling to 732.985.5009 to schedule your vision consultation.