How to Shop for a LASIK Surgeon Edison
When shopping for a LASIK surgeon in Edison or elsewhere around New Jersey, it is important to understand the specifics of the different types of LASIK procedures along with the corresponding risks and benefits.
When you have questions about LASIK surgery, which is also called Laser Eye Surgery or refractive surgery, please contact Patel Eye Associates to schedule your initial consultation.
Step One: Do Your Research
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration and other public health specialists recommends that potential LASIK patients consider the following issues when shopping for a LASIK surgeon:
- Skill level. Question and compare the different areas of LASIK procedural expertise from one surgeon to the next.
- Look past expense. Even during tough economic times, important healthcare decisions such as eye surgery should never be based solely on cost. Some LASIK surgeons advertise discounts to stimulate business, but even when it comes to eye care, you get what you pay for.
- Study up. It’s important that LASIK surgeons distribute detailed procedural information to their patients, and that you read it.
- Bedside manner. You should feel comfortable with your LASIK surgeon and the facilities.
- Board certification: Make sure you choose a board-certified ophthalmologist who is educated in the latest technology and experienced in a variety of LASIK procedures to insure the safety of your eyes.
- Here’s a checklist of questions for your LASIK doctor.
Step Two: Ask for Recommendations
Consult friends, family and coworkers about their LASIK surgeon experiences. If you know someone who had a wonderful experience with their LASIK surgeon, you may want to contact that doctor for a consultation.
You also might consider asking for a recommendation from your family doctor or regular eye-care professional. These doctors often have relationships with LASIK eye surgeons and can direct you to another trusted professional.
Step Three: Choosing Wisely
From your first appointment to your recovery, a LASIK surgeon should work closely with you. Some LASIK practices manage patient visits using a variety of doctors and technicians, meaning you may not even meet your eye surgeon until the moment of surgery.
At Patel Eye Associates, our doctors are involved in your eye care from start to finish. Our LASIK surgeons perform your initial examination, your surgery, and all follow-up appointments to ensure your LASIK experience is fully customized and personal.
Additionally, we specialize in LASIK, and are highly knowledgeable about the latest techniques and technology in the field. We’ve performed thousands of LASIK procedures and can thoroughly explain all the benefits and risks to you so you can make an informed decision.
To learn more about Laser eye surgery at Patel Eye Associates, please contact our LASIK surgeons today to schedule your initial laser vision correction consultation. We serve patients in New Brunswick, Edison and Middlesex, New Jersey.